Getting to Know Your Dan Tians
What are the Dan Tians?
- There are three treasures in Chinese Medicine and Qigong that are to be very guarded.
- These three energy centers have been identified in the body as Jing (lower Dan Tian), Qi (middle Dan Tian), and Shen (upper Dan Tian).
- All three control and store energy and energy potential.
- There are a few reasons why any reference to “the Dan Tian” is most likely referring to the lower Dan Tian unless a distinction is made.
There are a few reasons for this:
- It is the first and original source of Qi energy.
- The other Dan Tians and most energy points in the body cannot be felt until enough energy has been built in the lower dantian.
- Energy then travels to these other points and lends them their “sensation.”
- In martial art terms it is the center for power.
Lower Dan Tian (Jing)
- Located two inches below the navel and two finger widths behind your navel, directly towards the body’s center.
- It is the source of energy which builds the physical body and allows us to develop and use Qi and Shen.
- It is our life essence, corresponding to our physical self and the earth.
- Our Jing can be depleted by life itself, overwork exhaustion, daily stress, and emotional excessiveness.
Middle Dan Tian (Qi)
- Located at the heart, it is energy created from food and air and relates to our emotions and thoughts.
- This is our vitality.
- Without it our movement would cease, and we would eventually die.
- Our original Qi is inherited before our birth. Your original Qi is stored in the lower Dan Tian, along with the Qi that you breathe, drink, and food that you consume.
- Additional Qi is also obtained from our air as we breathe in, food and liquids that we consume.
- Metabolism: The power for this also rests in your lower Dan Tian.
Upper Dan Tian (Shen)
- The Shen is the spirit.
- Its located at a center point just higher than the eyebrows. It is related to our spirit or consciousness.
- The belief is a person who has strengthened their Shen is intelligent, clear, centered, calm, strong-minded, and at peace with themselves and what surrounds them.
- Qigong naturally calms and dials in your concentration for mind and spirit.
- This is done by purifying and simplifying your mind while diminishing your desires. Your mind will be kept tranquil.